SINCE 1997, THE ELLEN HERMANSON FOUNDATION HAS GRANTED over $4 MILLION to:
SOUTHAMPTON HOSPITAL — 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003-2016
- To help establish an innovative, comprehensive, grassroots program to motivate women on the South Fork to have regular mammography. Coordinated with the South Fork Breast Health Coalition, which is supported by Southampton Hospital (1997).
- To help fund the purchase of a Mammatome Breast Biopsy System to facilitate more accurate and less traumatic biopsies, thereby promoting early detection of breast cancer (2000).
- To help secure first-year leases on two Lorad FAST Mammography Units and to purchase a Kodak Multiloader Processor (2003).
- To help fund the purchase of a Computer Aided Detection System and to expand the hospital's pain management program to include mind-body techniques including a "Massage Therapy Program for Breast Cancer Patients" and "Exercise and Yoga for the Breast Cancer Patient" (2004).
- To underwrite the purchase of a Full Field Digital Mammography unit which will enable the Breast Center to detect breast cancer as early as possible (2005).
- To underwrite the purchase of a Multicare Upgrade Package for the Sterotactic Breast Biopsy System. The upgrade to this system (2000 Grant) will offer patients the latest advances in technology that enables doctors to accurately diagnose breast abnormalities without the need for stitches or a trip to the operating room (2006, 2007).
- To fund The Ellen Hermanson Breast Health Center at Southampton Hospital, a self-contained, state-of-the-art center for patients on the East End of Long Island (2008-10).
- To purchase an elastography ultrasound machine for The Ellen Hermanson Breast Health Center at Southampton Hospital and provide a genetic counselor (2010).
- To fund a portable sonogram machine, significant upgrades to software and radiology breast reading room, and a genetic counselor (2011)
- To fund one half of a Tomosynthesis 3D Breast Imaging System (2012, 2013)
- To fund the first installment on a second Tomosynthesis 3D Breast Imaging System to be housed in The Ellen Hermanson Breast Center in Hampton Bays, NY (2014)
- To fund radiation seed Localization (2014)
- To help fund the purchase of a Bone Densitrometry DEXA machine (2014)
- To fund a state-of-the-art high resolution ultrasound machine to provide essential ultrasound diagnostic services (2016)
Ellen's Well — 2000 - Present
Ellen's Well provides all its services to the local community free of charge. An initiative established by The Ellen Hermanson Foundation and administered by the Southampton Hospital Foundation, Ellen’s Well provides psychosocial support under the direction of an oncological social worker to breast cancer survivors and their families on the East End of Long Island. Programs include: support groups, Neighbors Helping Neighbors, transportation, and Pink Bags.
Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert — 1998 - Present
The Foundation sponsors The Ellen P. Hermanson Memorial Symposium, which brings together leading experts to address cutting-edge issues confronting breast cancer patients in health law and policy, and is free to the public. Ellen was the founding Director of Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert.
The Ellen Hermanson Foundation has also made the following grants between 1998 & 2016: